Turaco TreeTops Lodge in Kibale National Park
Turaco Tree Tops is a mid-range accommodation facility located next to Kibale Forest National Park – the home to chimpanzees in Uganda. Turaco Tree tops is a perfect accommodation choice for visitors to Uganda looking for a lodge with a great mix of comfort and serenity. Overlooking Kibale Forest, Turaco Tree Tops lodges makes a great base for visitors in Uganda for a chimpanzee trekking safari or on tour to Kibale forest national park.
The lodge is strategically located near the national park and is situated along the Fort-portal – Kamwenge road off Nkingo town in Bigodi. Turaco Treetops is named after one of Uganda’s most sought after bird while on a birding safari called the Great Blue Turaco. The beautiful bird is resident to Kibale Forest and is best seen while on the Bigodi Swamp walk perched on tree branches. The Great Blue Turaco which is an Albertine rift endemic specie is known for its stunning blue color and bright red and yellow beak.
Turaco Treetops is a great lodge to relax after your activities in Kibale Forest national park as you are treated to a beautiful views of Kibale forest, a quiet environment and excellent staff available to make your stay in Uganda even memorable.
Accommodation at Turaco Tree Tops
Turaco Tree Tops has 8 luxury forest cottages that are large, spacious and beautifully decorated with a touch of African decor pieces. The lodge in addition has 8 standard rooms that were recently launched to the property in 2021 and the standard rooms are located in four duplex buildings. The rooms at the lodge are nestled within the Kibale forest and you wake up to beautiful views of the forest and on a lucky day you can spot some beautiful bird species that like to hang around the lodge premises.
Each luxury forest cottage consists of;
- A large wooden bed with comfortable clean linen and a mosquito net that is hang from the top of the ceiling.
- En-suite bathroom with hot water, clean towels,mirror, a bowl sink and soap.
- A cosy couch in inside the cottage with a table that is usually adorned with fresh flowers.
- Large windows that let in enough light, you might even wake up to beautiful sun rays peaking through the window.
- A spacious balcony overlooking Kibale Forest with comfortable seats.
- Storage space for your clothes/bags and a safety box for keeping valuables.
- Wall sockets for charging phone devices or your camera batteries.
Each standard room consists of;
- A wooden bed with clean comfortable linen and a mosquito net.
- Outdoor balcony with a cosy couch.
- En-suite bathroom with a mirror, clean towels, soap and hot running water.
- Large windows and doors that let enough light in to the room.
- PS: The standard rooms are smaller in size compared to the luxury forest cottages but they still offer great comfort while on your stay.
Facilities and Services at the Lodge
- Restaurant – Turaco treetops has a great restaurant with well-trained chefs ready to prepare you delicious meals.
- Lounge area – The lodge has a cozy lounge area with beautiful wooden décor giving it a warm feeling. You can relax here after your chimpanzee trekking adventure, read a book or have a glass of wine over the fireplace.
- The lodge has a bar with a variety of wines, spirits, beers and soft drinks. A bartender is available to take in your orders.
- Outside terrace – For an experience outdoors the lodge has a terrace outside where you can sit and take in the surroundings of the lodge.
- The lodge has WIFI available in the main building where you can connect to the internet. The main building also has charging docks where you can charge your devices like phones and cameras.
- Swimming Pool Area – Tura Treetops has a swimming pool where you can take a dive in to the pool and relax after your activities in Kibale national park. The pool is located near the garden and if you are looking to relax by the pool side you can do that under the grass thatched pool house.
- Great staff members are available to make your stay at Turaco Tree tops a memorable one.
- Electricity and Private security is available to ensure safety throughout your stay at Turaco Tree tops.
- Turaco Tree tops also accommodates families and caters to the young children’s needs as it has a children’s playground, an indoor kids room where they can read, write, hangout. The lodge also has a shallow end for the children to engage in swimming.
Attractions and Activities to do while staying at at Turaco Tree Tops
There is so much to see and do while staying at Turaco Tree tops that is strategically situated to the primate capital of the world – Kibale Forest National park. Activities to do include;
Chimpanzee Trekking: Chimpanzee trekking in Kibale national park is an adventure that allows one to spend up to one hour with the chimpanzees in Kibale forest. Visitors are allowed to visit Chimpanzee communities that have been habituated with the help of trained park rangers and expert researcher. The chimpanzee trek begins at Kanyanchu Visitor centre inside Kibale national park which is the main visitor’s center and main ground for all tourist activities in the park.
Chimpanzee Habituation Experience: The chimpanzee habituation experience is an activity recently introduced by the Uganda Wildlife Authority that allows one to spend more time with the chimpanzees as opposed to one hour spent with them on a chimpanzee trek. The habituation experience is a full day activity that starts very early in the morning, as early as 6:00am and Turaco Tree tops is the perfect base for this activity as it is a few minutes away from the park.
Birding in Kibale Forest : For the expert birder, Kibale forest national park is a perfect hot spot to add to your Uganda birding experience as the park is home to 375 species of birds of which 6 of these are endemic to the Albertine Rift Region. Kibale Forest offers opportunity to look out for birds like the Green Breasted Pitta, Speckle-breasted Woodpecker, Double-toothed Barbet, White-Collared Oliveback, Northern masked Weaver, African Grey Parrot, Grey-backed Camaroptera, Purple-breasted Sunbird, Green throated Sunbird among others. Kibale has great forest birding trails and the Bigodi swamp walk that hosts the Great Blue Turaco.
Guided Nature Walks: Going on a guided nature walk is also one way to experience Kibale national park especially on afternoon that is you arrive early at the lodge or the next day. The forest trails offer opportunities to walk through the moist evergreen forest as you look out for tree species, flowering plant species, birds, forest mammals, and on a lucky day you might spot chimpanzees. The park also offers guided night trails where you search for nocturnal forest inhabitants such as bush babies and potto.
Bigodi wetland Sanctuary/ swamp walk: The Bigodi wetland walk is a local community run initiative located outside the Kibale national park boundary right next to Bigodi trading center. The guided swamp walk is a 3-4 hour trail and less strenuous than the chimpanzee trek. The Bigodi swamp is home to different species of monkeys and bird species like the Great Blue. The Bigodi swamp walk starting point is also located right next to Turaco Tree tops making it easy to connect for this activity, you can even decide to take a walk there through the small town of Nkingo.
Our Tours to Kibale National Park that Involve staying at Turaco TreeTops